Tuesday, June 21, 2011

When you live in a glass house...

One of E's friends from down the street is moving away. They bought a house - not in our overly priced school district of course. I'm sad for E because this friend was the one I actually liked. There is another girl living down the street - we'll call her "L" - who seems to tell E lots of things other people say. For instance, L told E that she "heard" a boy liked her. She also told E that some other girls called E "fat." Seeing a theme here?  Like E, L is 8.

L had to learn that shit somewhere. I met L's (newly divorced) mom and she seemed pretty nice. I saw her a couple more times at the daycare - I waved and she acted like she didn't see me and didn't speak to me either time. I can think of at least three times I invited L to play with E - at E's request. L hasn't been available - one time she was with her dad, another time I got a response many hours later by the time it was obviously too late. One time I invited the mom to have a beer while the girls played. Nothing. Did I offend her by offering her a beer and not a glass of Chardonnay? Who the hell knows.

So where does all this come from? Is it a product of living in this neighborhood? Just for the record, L and her mom are living where we live - and renting. She has nothing on me. So why the snooty attitude? And even more important, what do I tell E? How can I teach her that what other people say is all so much bullshit? Especially when she thinks L is such a great friend. How will E react when I tell her we are not going to ask L to play anymore until L requests it?  I don't want E to be the one always asking to play.

Just because we may be "that" family doesn't mean I don't have SOME mother fucking pride. Believe it. Also believe my first reaction upon E's crying that someone called her fat was to tell her to punch that little bitch in the mouth. You can take the girl out of the white trash town..........

No comments:

Post a Comment