Thursday, October 13, 2011

R is in kindergarten. Parents are asked to volunteer once a week, which seeing as how I work, I can't do. I told her teacher I would volunteer once a month. So yesterday was my day.

There are 4 kids at R's table, and I was in charge of her table. They were all working on their projects and R asked me if I was going to be there every Wednesday. Oh, here we go, I think to myself - the mom guilt. "No, I can only be here sometimes," I tell my sweet girl with sadness in my voice. She nods and says "Ok."

Wait a tic. Was that relief I heard in her voice? Certainly not. She definitely wants me there, right?!

Her teacher walks by at this point and says R's table gets a point because they were all coloring and on task. Of course, I give a whoop whoop and raise the roof!! I mean, a point is a point right? R points her finger at me and shakes her head no. I got reprimanded by my own kid, who is 5! Are you kidding me?

The table finishes their project and R tells me it's ok for me to leave. She wants me to go! I tell her I'm the coolest mom she knows but she's not buying it.

She really doesn't want me there. I can't figure it out. Maybe it's because I'm dressed for work and actually have makeup on. Not like the other moms there who were in jogging suits with no makeup on. I reserve that look for the weekends.

Just wait until that child is older, and I really embarrass her. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment